Protect What Matters Most
The fourth of July has come and gone, and every year we hear horror stories of people injured by fireworks.
This morning I opened a news article where a 15 year old boy made a bomb out of 200 sparklers. In the interview, his mom and aunt talked of how he did this every year.
I have to stop right there and ask the question: WHY would you allow your child to play with fireworks and make bombs? Why?
The mother and aunt were in tears, and rightfully so. Their precious loved one is in critical condition, having part of his leg amputated. As he is still in a coma, they are unsure if the boy will lose his vision as a result of the explosion. His friend was also injured in the explosion, and he has to return to the hospital to have metal removed from his eyes.
Protect what matters most!
Do NOT allow your children to play with things of this nature.
About three years ago, my family and I decided to stay in for the 4th of July. We purchased our own fireworks and decided to have a fun time at home celebrating. My husband was to be the one to set the fireworks up and light them. My daughters and I had our beach chairs reclined in anticipation of a fabulous show. The first few fireworks were just fine, but something went terribly wrong when the roman candle fell on its side and started shooting right at us! My daughters and I jumped up from our chairs and started running toward the house for cover. As I tried to run, I tripped over my chair, and instantly I felt a hard metal ball hit my leg. It stung, which only made me run faster with greater determination to get away from it. After the roman candle was finally empty and I made sure my children were safe, I vowed that we would never, ever attempt to do fireworks at home again! And, we haven’t. Thankfully, I was the only one hit, and it did not penetrate my skin.
The whole ordeal was frightening, to say the least. This incident happened with fireworks we bought at the store. I cannot imagine trying to make one yourself and having tragedy strike.
I know the mom and aunt are living with regret today having allowed the boy to participate in such an act. It is extremely sad that this has ultimately altered his entire life now.
Parents, please protect what is nearest and dearest to your heart – your children! Protect what matters most!
If you want to enjoy fireworks, go to a show where the experts handle all of it – every single bit of it! That way you and your family can kick back, relax, and enjoy the show. There are places all over our small community offering places for the family to enjoy the 4th of July fireworks. I’m sure they are in your area as well. It just is not worth it to risk doing it yourself at home OR making firework bombs.
Pray for the 15 year old and his family, as well as his friend that was also injured yesterday.